Sunday, December 27, 2020

52 Ancestors: Resolution - Top 10 Genealogical Finds of 2020

2020 has been a very difficult year for so many.  I don't want to dwell on the pandemic and have tried to find the positive but it's been hard on so many levels.  But one thing I've tried to do - albeit not always so successfully - is to continue with my research and blogging.  I had some really good weeks and some "I don't want to do a thing" weeks but through it all, I kept the end in sight and resolved to work through it so that at the end of the year, I just might be able to come up with my annual top 10 genealogical finds of the year.  So with that, I'll step back and reflect on what I've learned over the past year. [cue the David Letterman music].


You can read my previous year's discoveries here.  2019  2018  2017  2016  2015  2014  2013  2012  2012.5 2011

Number 10:  I was not quite 14 when my paternal grandfather, Sig Levy, died.  Looking back, I don't know that I really "knew" him.  But that changed when I put together a post about him in costume.  Quite the Character - Sig in Costume

Number 9:  My great grandfather, Abe Gunzendorfer, was a photographer.  I have lots of his original photos in my collection which I wrote about here.  Labor - Abe's Photos.  What's been really fun is to have members of the "Monterey" Facebook group share other photos that Abe took.  It takes a village for sure.

Number 8:   Speaking of taking a village, I'm hoping that next year the mystery of Marks Schwartz will be solved.  Labor - Marks Schwartz.  Thanks to a suggestion from one of my most faithful readers, I am on the waiting list to have an expert help me determine if the mystery child is Marks.  

Number 7:  Seeing our ancestors in swim suits can be fun!  And boy was it when I put this post together!  Water - Swimsuits.  How many of us can say they've seen their grandparents in a swimsuit?

Number 6:  I think by now my readers know that my grandfather was small - so small, in fact, that he had to sit on a pillow when he flew a plane.  So this tuxedo must have belonged to him.  Small - Tuxedo

Number 5:  It breaks my heart when I hear of a young child passing, but especially so when it was my husband's older sister who lived to be just 54 minutes old.  Nearly Forgotten - Pamela Jean

Number 4:  I've had many favorites discoveries but the most recent is always my favorite.  This was no exception.  Favorite Discovery

Number 3:  Along with favorite discoveries comes favorite photos.  It was hard for me to pick a favorite - isn't that like picking a favorite child - but I finally came up with one.  Favorite Photo - Birdie Schwartz

Number 2:  While I love it when a photo or other tidbit drops into my lap, there is nothing more rewarding than making that happen for someone else.  It only took a moment of my time to find someone who was so filled with gratitude over a picture of his grandfather.  Gratitude

Number 1:  The post that generated the most activity this year actually surprised me - I was having a hard time coming up with something for the Blog Prompt Multiple and decided to just put to use the multiple letters I had between my grandparents as they were courting from 1916-1919.  Of course this was during the Spanish Flu and since I was in the process of transcribing the letters from late 1918, the similarities to what we have faced this year was astounding.  Multiple - Love Letters

It was slim pickings this year but I'm happy to say that I kept at it, although it was much slower than usual.  So I'll continue with the resolution to keep at it and, hopefully, have a much more robust Top 10 list in 2021!



6 comments:

  1. Debi, it is wonderful that you have been able to move ahead with your research & discoveries despite all the obstacles in 2020. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good for me to put the list together in order to help me realize that I really did do something this year. Happy new year to you!

      Delete
  2. It was fun reading this and remembering some of these posts. I really enjoy reading your blog, and I hope 2021 bring you more great finds and lots of good health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on Ava's "list" - thanks for the referral! Happy new year to you and your family.

      Delete
    2. Great! I hope she can help. And thank you!

      Delete
  3. Slim? I don't think so - looks like a very productive year.

    ReplyDelete