Monday, October 26, 2020

52 Ancestors: Quite the Character - Sig in Costume

When I first saw this prompt, I couldn't help but think of the photos I have of Sig Levy, my paternal grandfather, in costume.  Sig died shortly before my 14th birthday and I have no memories of him in anything other than business clothes.  Usually a suit and tie and maybe once in awhile in what we would call "business attire" but certainly never shorts, sweatpants, or a swim suit.  

Here he is in his typical attire.  

Sig Levy, February, 1929

He even dressed like this on weekends and while visiting our home.  Even little brother had a jacket on so I'll cut him some slack that they were going to a special dress-up event.


But in his younger days, Sig seemed to be quite a character.  It wasn't until I started sorting through family photos that I discovered his wild side.

He let loose a little here and added a lei - nice!  But still his character is in check.



Whoa - he really let loose here and switched out the jacket/tie for a sweater and bolo tie!  He's living on the edge!

Along the way he even got MORE dressed up.  What a handsome couple they were!

Sig Levy, Loraine Gunzendorfer

Sig liked to play around with crazy hats.  Wait, that's his Flying Cadet hat which I still have today!

Sig Levy, 1957


But let's go back a bit and see more of his really wild side.  In 1966 the cruise ship had a costume contest and Sig won best costume!

Sig Levy, 1966


As a young man he rocked his swimsuit!  That's him on the right.


I wish I knew the story about the costume here.  We are accustomed to seeing earrings on men these days but I'm sure in the early 1900's it was quite an oddity.  But he didn't fool anyone with his shoes!


While I love the photo of Sig by himself, I find this group photo even more entertaining.  I wish I'd seen this photo years ago so I could have asked someone - anyone - what the story was.  The whole gang seemed to be quite the characters.




So even though I didn't see it, it seems that Sig Levy was quite a character.

On a more serious note, I'm not planning to post many of my blogs on Facebook anymore as there is too much negativity there and I want to stay away from it for the foreseeable future.  If you'd like to continue to follow my blog (and I hope that you will), you can sign up using your e-mail address and it will come straight into your mailbox.  You can find that on the right side of this page, about halfway down. 



If you don't care to do that, thanks for following along with me over the years.








9 comments:

  1. So is that a cigarette hanging out of Sig's mouth in that bathing beauty picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - good eyes! But no, it's a crease in the picture. :-)

      Delete
  2. Was Sig perhaps in some kind of acting troupe? Some of those look like costumes for a play or musical. I feel like I know this man because of your blog and already knew he was a character!

    I know what you mean about Facebook. I am mostly on there these days for the genealogy groups and find that scrolling through my Newsfeed has become too depressing. But since I get a lot of readers through the genealogy groups AND a lot of research assistance from them, I will stick with Facebook and just limit my time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about acting, Amy. If he did I never heard about it.

      I will still post my blogs to a few of the groups but like you said, limit my "personal" time there. I have one reader who uses WordPress and she said she can't comment on my blog because I don't accept URL? I don't know what she means but you use WordPress and can comment, right?

      Delete
  3. I've no idea what that means. It may mean she doesn't want to sign up through her email address but rather through her blog. On WordPress you can subscribe to other WordPress blogs through their reader if you don't want to do so by email. I actually prefer getting notifications of new posts through email, but others may not, and that may be the case with your reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She said she has signed up through the e-mail, which I believe you do, but can't comment because of WordPress/Blogger issue so she's been commenting on my Facebook post. I'm not sure what she's referring to with the URL. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Great collection of photos! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy your Sig stories. I feel like I knew your grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember them so vividly - can’t believe they have been gone 40+ years.

      Delete