Sunday, August 9, 2020

52 Ancestors: Small - Tuxedo

This week's blog prompt had me puzzled at first - what could I write about that fit in the category of small?  And then it came to me - this tuxedo!


If you've followed my blog over the years, you'll remember that back in 2012 I Got Stuff - lots and lots of stuff.  So much stuff I'm still going through it and for things I have gone through, I can't keep track of everything I have.  But one thing I do remember is this very small tuxedo.

When I found the tuxedo, it was wadded up and I don't remember if it was in a box, a bag, or just where it was but I loaded it into the car and brought it home.  It wasn't too long before I realized I needed to do my best at preserving it so I (reluctantly) took it to the dry cleaners and had them clean it for me.  And then I hung it in the closet for all these years.  Until I saw this blog prompt and remembered it and thought it would be the perfect time to share my discovery.

Also, if you've followed my blog you know that my paternal grandfather, Sigmund Levy, was small.  So small, in fact, that he talked about it in the letter of November 9, 1918 that he wrote to his future wife (my grandmother) about his time as a Flying Cadet.

From now on I fly every morning so wish me luck.  I have the same instructor every day.  I can't reach the rudder control without stretching a lot so I am having a pillow seat made.  They seem to think that I won't have any trouble flying and there are a lot of pillow aviators down here.

Who knew there were pillow aviators?  And then this from November 12, 1918.

I know you will be glad to hear this.  This morning I was taken temporarily out of the air on account of my height.  I have been flying fine but my instructor, who is a prince, and I had a serious talk on the field yesterday and he advised that I quit because I'll not be able to reach the controls.  I quite agreed with him so he took it up with the Major and this morning I was told verbally that I needn't fly this morning.

When he registered for World War II, he was listed as 5 feet 1 inch.  So yeah, I'd say he was pretty short. 

The National Archives at St. Louis; St. Louis, Missouri; World War II Draft Cards (4th Registration) for the State of California; Record Group Title: Records of the Selective Service System; Record Group Number: 147

Although I can't be certain, the fact that this tuxedo is small and was kept all those years by my packrat grandparents, I have to believe it was Sig's tuxedo.  Try as I might I haven't found a photo of him wearing the tuxedo but with so many things to go through, I might still find something.  In his letters to my grandmother right before their wedding he did talk a bit about buying a suit for their wedding but since he commented that it was brown, I don't think this was his wedding suit.  But maybe it was for a different wedding?

Let's take a closer look.  Here's the jacket.


And a close up of the label inside.


Hart Schaffner & Marx was founded in 1877 by two brothers, Harry and Max Hart, in Chicago and was the first company to introduce suits tailored for different body types - in this case, small.  The date confirms that it could have been Sig's since he wasn't born until 1888.  I'm going to contact the company and see if they can give me any information about this garment.

The vest looks pretty small.

Not sure why it looks blue
I don't know why this looks blue


And a close up of the lapels.  One side looks pretty good.


The other side not so much.


I'm not giving up on finding a photo of Sig in this tuxedo but even without the "proof", I feel fairly confident that it was his.  Thanks again, Grandma & Grandpa, for being packrats!


6 comments:

  1. Five foot one---that is small, really small, for a man---even back then. How tall was your grandmother? Your father? You??

    I wonder if the tuxedo was custom made. Maybe for his prom? Wedding? Bar mitzvah? Good luck solving the mystsery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother was about 5'3", my dad about 5'9", I'm 5'4" on a really good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, 5'4" is TALL in my family! (At 5'4", I am the tallest woman on my mother's side of the family. Well, my younger daughter is the same height, so she's tied with me.)

      Delete
    2. I was called "tall person" in a grocery store once by a shorter-than-me woman trying to get something off the top shelf. My 6'5" son-in-law laughed himself silly over that.

      Delete
  3. That definitely looks like a tux for a wedding. Was he a best man or groomsman for a brother? Surely there were plenty of weddings Sig would have been in. Write ups in the Newspapers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good suggestion to look in the newspaper. I haven't seen anything about him being in a wedding but with 3 brothers, it's a possibility.

      Delete