Monday, April 6, 2020

52 Ancestors: Water - Swimsuits!

This week's blog post - WATER - brought to mind several photos I have of some of my ancestors in swimsuits.  At this time of social distancing and sheltering at home, it's nice to see people together and having fun.  And look how the fashion has changed over the years.

My grandmother, Mildred Loraine Gunzendorfer, rocked her suit in 1915.  In her scrapbook she captioned this "In the Baths" 27 Feb 1915.

Loraine Gunzendorfer, 2nd from left

And that same day, the girls hit the Del Monte Baths.  Looks like they added a few friends along the way.


Loraine Gunzendorfer, 2nd from left

Even my grandfather, Sigmund Levy, got into the act.  That's Sig on the right - not sure who the others are.

Date unknown

My parents also posed for some swimsuit photos.  Here's mom, Geraldine Martin, in July, 1931.  I'm not sure but I think that could be her mother, Clara Fitzgerald, watching her.


 And this is the woman my dad fell in love with.

Geraldine Martin, 1945

Dad showed up in a swimsuit a few times.  Here he is on 13 May, 1928 when he was 15 months old.

In the sandbox - cutie patootie

And here he is in his first swimbirthday suit.



And where would this lead except a picture of ME in a swimsuit all those years ago.....

Debi and big sister, June 1956

It's been fun to take a look at these photos - if I can't be outside among the people (one of my dad's favorite phrases), at least I can enjoy these from the comfort and safety of my computer.





3 comments:

  1. I look at those old bathing suits and think that we've come full circle as now my grandsons wear shirts and longer suits to protect themselves from the sun. Maybe our ancestors were much smarter than we were!

    Happy Passover, Debi! Stay safe and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Amy - I hadn't even thought of that. Happy Passover to you, too!

      Delete
  2. What a treasure those old photos must be to you!

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete