Monday, December 31, 2018

Top 10 Genealogical Finds of 2018



Photo by Pierce Place

It’s been a quiet year here at Who Knew? central, but I’ve managed to tuck away a few discoveries.  I participated in the 52 Ancestors Challenge, which sure helped by providing blog prompts and I’m looking forward to participating again in 2019.  Also, putting this post together reminds me of so many things I’ve started and need to get back to.

As 2018 winds down, I’d like to step back and reflect on what I’ve learned over the past year.  So in my best David Letterman voice, I bring you my annual Top 10 genealogical finds of 2018.  You can read my previous years’ discoveries here. 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012.5 2012 2011

Number 10:  In 2014, I wrote about the home in Santa Cruz that was built for my 2x great grandfather, Louis Schwartz.  Based on the timing of some of the facts I’ve learned, I’m fairly certain that not only was my great grandmother, Birdie Schwartz, born in that house but also my grandmother, Mildred Loraine Gunzendorfer.  So a pretty special house to me.

Imagine my surprise when I received a message via newspapers.com this year from a historian in Santa Cruz who noticed I’d clipped quite a few clippings about Louis Schwartz and the family.  Turns out she had an acquaintance who was hoping to buy the home, which they did, and she was going to research the history and started with me.  We’ve had some e-mails back and forth and this post has reminded me to get back to corresponding with her to see what she’s found.

If you’re interested in seeing the listing (and the inside of the house), you can view it here SCHWARTZ HOUSE LISTING.  One of  my photos of the family in front of the home is even in the listing!

Schwartz House
That’s Birdie on the left and Louis Schwartz standing behind the fence on the right.


Number 9:  Last year’s #1 genealogical find was the publishing of a book I had the honor of contributing to and which referenced many of my ‘peeps’ in Santa Cruz.


How exciting to know that George is now working on a walking tour and history of the Jewish Cemetery in Santa Cruz, Home of Peace.  I’m anxious to see the finished product and, hopefully, find some of my ancestors interred there.


Number 8:  The blog prompts this year encouraged me to write about ancestors I hadn’t spent much time with.  One of those ancestors was Colman Schwartz, the youngest brother (and sibling) of my great grandmother, Birdie Schwartz.  As part of that research, I even learned what a monologist was as Colman practiced the art.  How sad that he died at just 36 years old.


Number 7:  Another blog prompt had me researching my grandmother’s cousin, Mervyn Gunzendorfer.  I knew that Mervyn and my grandmother’s brother, Wilton, were the last of the Gunzendorfer line and it was nice to learn a little more about Mervyn.


Number 6:  I don’t know a lot about my maternal grandfather, Earle Martin, as he and my grandmother divorced when my mother was about 10 and he really wasn’t a part of her (or our) life after that.  He is still a bit of a mystery to me so as part of the Father’s Day prompt, I did some research and found some new information.  I also briefly connected again with Earle’s youngest child.  I’d sure love to learn more about Earle and that part of the family.


Number 5:  Since my mother was an only child (other than half siblings whom we never knew) and my dad had only one brother, the ‘maiden aunt’ prompt looked to be difficult for me.  However, it was then that I remembered the Stubblefield sisters who lived next door to my grandparents for many years.  Since neither of them ever married or had children, it was a nice to remember them.  Maybe, just maybe, there is a descendant of some sort who has been looking for them.

My beautiful picture
I think this is Ethel and Gertrude with my grandmother (on the right)


Number 4:  The ‘Going to the chapel’ prompt was the perfect opportunity for me to research my maternal grandmother, Clara Fitzgerald, and her marriage to the man I knew as Grandpa, Sheldon Hunter.  They owned a chicken ranch as we were growing up and I have such wonderful memories of spending time at the ranch.  Not just chickens but so many warm Fresno afternoons listening to Grandma’s beloved San Francisco Giants.

Clara_Shell 1974
The last photo I have of the two of them – my wedding day March 9, 1974


Number 3:  When the Cause of Death’ prompt appeared, I ventured outside of my own family and did some research on my husband’s 2x great grandmother, Julia O’Reilly Gorham Post.  Was she murdered?  Or did she accidentally fall on that darned hatchet?  Who knew?


Number 2:  I’ll take any opportunity to write about my 3x great grandfather, Emery Waller.  For those of you who have followed along for most of my ‘blogging life’, you’ll remember he was the ancestor I found in an unmarked grave and was able to mark the grave so he will never be forgotten.  You can read about my quest HERE. 
When thinking about the Conflict’ prompt, my first thought was a conflict between family members.  While I have a few of those, I took the opportunity to write about Emery’s military service during the Civil War.  Out came the pension record again and I was able to learn even more about this man.


Number 1:   This could be my Number 1 genealogical find every year – COUSINS! 

In early December I learned that my 2nd cousin had recently passed away.  His grandfather, Herb Levy, was my grandfather’s oldest brother.  While I had not connected with this cousin over the course of my journey, I had connected with his brother, Bob, so I sent him an e-mail expressing my condolences.  It turns out that Bob shared some family information with his two nieces and, thus, we have now connected and will be sharing (I hope) information.  Welcome to the family, my two new 2nd cousins, 1x removed!

And then right before Christmas, I took a peek at my DNA results and noticed a new match from my Gunzendorfer line.  Since this family is so small, I’m always excited at the possibility of meeting a new Gunzendorfer relative – AND I DID!  Her great grandmother, Sarah (Goldstein) Eisner, was the sister of my great grandmother, Fannie (Goldstein) Gunzendorfer.  And while 3rd cousin, 1x removed might seem a bit distant, to prove that the world is very, very small we found quite a few similarities.  We grew up about 1 mile from each other, graduated from the same high school just a few years apart, and attended the same Temple.  How did we not know about each other, even thought our fathers did?  Welcome to my family, C!

It’s always fun to look at the top visited blog posts for the year.  While some made both lists, there were a few that didn’t.  Here’s my top five blog posts for 2018:

#1  Wanted: Herman Levy (not just for the year but ALL TIME)
#2  52 Ancestors: Cause of Death
#3  52 Ancestors: Youngest
#4  52 Ancestors: Thankful
#5  52 Ancestors: Heirloom

And that’s what I’ve been up to in 2018 – thanks for following along with me!

4 comments:

  1. It's been great following along this year, Debi, and I look forward to continuing to do so in 2019! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy, for following along. Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete
  2. I loved looking at the listing for the family home. It still looks good. Wouldn’t you just love to travel back in time to see your family there when the house was new? I bet your great grandparents really enjoyed that hot tub. 🤪

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot tub - you always make me laugh! I have a few photos of the interior of a house but, sadly, I'll never know if it is "the" house. Happy New Year, Wendy!

      Delete