Sunday, November 28, 2021

52 Ancestors: Thankful - New Friends

Over the last few months, I've connected with two new friends and am so thankful for the connections.

The first was an artist who contacted me about the book he was publishing.

Painting the Grand Homes of California's Central Valley by J.P. Lane

James spent nearly 2 years traveling, researching, and painting.  The book covers 52 homes in 30 towns throughout the Central Valley with 20 architectural styles, painting tips, and even jokes.  And just guess which home is included in the book?  That's right, the home of my grandparents, Sig and Loraine Levy!

What a thrill to see the painting he did of their home.


James wrote:
Sigmund Levy was the son of Herman Levy, who emigrated from Germany to Fresno and signed the Fresno City Charter, and mother Goldie Benas Levy.  As a young man he was training to be a WWI Army Air Service when the armistice was signed and the war ended in 1918.  Later in life he became a prominent real estate and insurance broker together with his brothers in the Fresno area.  Herbert and Leon also lived in Wilson Island.

Sig and his wife Loraine had this Spanish Revival home built, which contains Monterey influences.  It featured modern amenities for the 1930s and was shown in local newspapers and magazines of the day.

The image I painted from the front makes this home look big, but the view from the side shows that it is immense!  This is one impressive home.

Sources: "Wilson Island Stories of the 1900s: The Sigmund and Loraine Levy Home at 1549 Echo Avenue.  Austen, Debi Levy.

Year Built: 1934
Architectural Style:  Spanish Revival
Architect:  Orville R. Taylor
Builders:  Taylor-Wheeler
Visitor status:  Private residence, please admire from afar.

FUN FACT:  The neighborhood is called Wilson "Island" because Rosanna created a few dead-end streets, essentially cutting off parts of the neighborhood from outside traffic (and riff-raff).
You can read some blog posts I've done about the house HERE and HERE.

Within a day or two, I had another new friend reach out to connect.  Turns out her father used to work at Levy Bros., the business of Sig and his brothers, Herb, Leon, and Ben.  


We spent some time talking by phone and one thing led to another and when she told me how old she was, I figured out that she probably knew my parents which she did!  My parents graduated from Fresno High School in 1944 and 1946 and she graduated in 1945.  She remembered so many friends of my parents and she was so happy to reminisce.  We've 'talked' a few times since and it's fun to share stories and pick her brain about Fresno history.  She remembers hearing stories that her dad would tell when he came home from work in the 1930s-1940s.

Levy Bros. office, c. 1920, Sig Levy on right

I'm so thankful that I was able to connect with new friends!


4 comments:

  1. The drawing of your grandparents' house is beautiful! Really good post, Debi. I wish I had thought to pay tribute to the many contacts I've made through my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are both wonderful new friends. I do love how blogging and genealogy have expanded my contacts---I've learned so much about so many things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus I’ve learned more about my family by putting together a blog post.

      Delete