Sunday, December 12, 2021

52 Ancestors: Handmade - Counted Cross Stitch

This week's blog prompt reminded me that it's okay to blog about myself - so here goes.

I don't know exactly how it started or how I learned but years ago I started doing counted cross stitch.  I practiced on a few things and then one day I decided to tackle a larger project and after months (or maybe years), I came up with this.

Santa With Elves

The first thing I wanted to do once it was completed was to hang it on the wall.  But being that it was a Christmas item, I thought it might be odd to leave it up all year but also sad to put it away for much of the year.  I decided that if it had a "friend", it would be okay to permanently hang it on the wall.  So, of course, the next thing to do was to get started on another project.  And after many months (or maybe years) again, I had a matched set.

Doctor and the Doll

Now this was getting fun!  So, of course, I had to make another.

Little Spooner Sweethearts

And nothing says a collection like four of a kind so I just had to make one more.  

No Swimming

I don't remember too many specifics (hey, it's been 30-40 years) but I do remember that the last one wasn't my favorite because it didn't have as many colors.  Or maybe it was because I was working on it while our youngest daughter was having her tonsils out.

I like to think that one day a descendant will have one (or more) of these hanging on their wall and maybe even blog about it!



8 comments:

  1. I admire your counted cross-stitch pictures! Nostalgic and beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very impressed! I am totally non-craftsy, and I have no idea what counted cross stitch means, but these are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. Counted cross stitch just means that there are no markings on the cross stitch material - you follow a printed pattern (like in a book) and "count" how many of each color to put in a certain place.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the explanation. And what will you be making next? A family tree??

      Delete
    3. I made something once for my parents' anniversary with the names of the kids. But my eyesight (or my concentration) isn't good enough any more to tackle a project again.

      Delete
  3. I certainly can relate to that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is it called counted cross stitch? Are the stitches counted? Asking for a friend. Thanks for sharing your charming creations.

    ReplyDelete