Sunday, August 29, 2021

52 Ancestors: Character - Dick Crawford

This week's prompt really had me stumped, probably because I'd already written about my grandfather, Sig Levy, for last year's prompt Quite The Character.  So I felt like I should get a little more creative and interpret the prompt a little differently.

I wondered if my grandparents had written about any characters in the letters they wrote back and forth from 1916-1919.  In checking Loraine's letters to Sig, the word was never mentioned.  But when I opened Sig's letters to Loraine and searched on 'character', a new world opened up to me.  

November 11, 1917

And what do you think my dear.  Dick did not pass his examination.  He came home last night really sad and if he can't pass, I don't think I would have stood a chance, as he is a young giant and one of the best athletes in this part of the country.  He has an excellent moral character and is high class in every respect, but the physical examination was too stiff for him.  They don't give any reasons, just "pass" or "don't pass".  But I think I'll be happier now because if we enlist, we will both go together or else wait for the draft.  You know they are to classify on the 15th of December, and call us out on February first.

I'm glad that you appreciated Dick's phoning you and that answers your question:  "Am I thinking of you?"  Now do you love me a lot for that?  Dick is a swell fellow - my closest friend and the only one in the world whom I would have ring you.  And I didn't want to miss the opportunity as I thought you would enjoy it, and you did, didn't you my dear?

I've read a lot about Dick in my grandfather's things so decided this would be a good time to research my grandfather's closest friend.

Dick Crawford, Fresno High School, The Owl, June, 1908

Dick was born Edwin Dickey Crawford to Annie Lee (Dickey) and James Malcom Crawford on 2 June 1892 in Temple, Texas.  I don't know the reason but somewhere between 1900 and 1910, the family moved to Fresno.  

January 13, 1918 - letter from Sig to Loraine

I am enclosing a clipping of a picture that I received from Dick.  As usual the paper got it all wrong and has him training for an aviator when in fact he is in the non-flying branch, but he will be all swelled up to learn that he is training for a flier.  So your friend is in the same camp.  Yes my dear, I think it would be great if he would meet Dick.  According to your address they are in the same camp but Dick is in the 10th squadron.  He most likely is registered as E.D. Crawford.  He will surely like Dick as they don't come any better.

Sig was probably referring to this picture (newspaper article) he had received from Dick.

Fresno Morning Republican, 13 Jan 1918, Page 14

Fresno has many proud sons in the service of Uncle Sam, but above is shown seven Fresnans who are in training for the aviation service at Camp Waco, Texas.  The picture was received here yesterday by Sig Levy, who has been recommended for the officers' training school for aviators, from Dick Crawford, who recently enlisted in the aviation service.  The boys report that they like the life.  In the picture reading from left to right they are:  (Upper row):  Dick Crawford, Fritz Prather, Hollis Pierson, Heitzig, Bouden, Kellog, Owen, all of Fresno; and Wikarons of San Diego.

Then on January 27, Sig wrote:

Haven't heard from Dick for weeks but saw his best girl this afternoon and she told me that he hasn't been at all well and is a little discouraged.  He is making a big fight again to get in the officers camp for flying and I certainly hope he makes it, because he would be a wonder.

Things didn't sound great in Sig's letter to Loraine on January 31, 1928:

I had a long letter from Dick and he has been very sick - and really sick at heart.  The poor fellow is certainly not in his regular company, but he is so game that I think he will get hardened to it.

A few weeks went by and on February 10, 1918 Sig wrote:

Haven't heard from Dick lately and I imagine he is about to depart for France as they are starting the aviation officers eastward - those who have been training in Texas.

Finally, a week later, February 17, 1918, Sig mentioned Dick again:

At last had a letter from Dick.  He is feeling better but not any too happy.  He says he is glad that I have a chance for a real job because his life is certainly tough and he said he would give anything to be back home.

And the weeks went on.  March 3, 1918:

Had a long letter from Dick last night.  He says for me to have all the fun I can while the going is good and he says this army life is a regular monk’s life.  However, he is now feeling fine and has gained ten pounds.  But all his Fresno comrades have left to parts unknown and he is very lonesome and has no idea when he will leave.  The weather down there is now getting dreadfully hot, but that is better than cold.

March 19, 1918.  Dick is still waiting to go - sounds like he and Sig were very close friends.

I heard from Dick today.  He is feeling fine and says he was given almost all his battle equipment which means France any day – and he can’t wait to go but said he wished hard to be with me for a few days before leaving, but of course that is impossible.

March 21, 1918.  

Later tonight I’m going to write Dick and it will most likely be the last he will get in U.S. as I think he will be on his way any day.  Poor kid, I hate to see him start without a higher position.

March 28, 1918.  Sounds like Dick was on his way during this past week.

Haven’t had a line from Dick so I think he must have departed so I soon expect to hear from him “over there” – you never can tell.

April 2, 1918.  Apparently, Dick hasn't left yet.  I'm glad to hear he had an opportunity to visit with friends - maybe friends from Texas?

I suppose you read where the yanks were about to enter things head first in France.  You know what that means – everybody all aboard soon and a big shift for “over there”.  But we are going to beat them dear and beat them terrible.  Heard from Dick yesterday.  They are letting him have a glorious time visiting friends as the time for leaving for France he says is any moment.

A few weeks before Sig mentioned Dick again.  April 18, 1918.

Today has been a rather peculiar one.  I heard from Dick last night – he is in Omaha and he is in training for a master truck driver and is very enthusiastic but working awfully hard.  But what do you think sweet – his mother died last evening.  It was very sudden and the cause was apoplexy.  It will surely wreck Dick as he was so fond of her.  She was a very fine woman and very young.  I suppose Dick will come home for the funeral.

Sure enough.  Annie Crawford died on 17 April 1918 at the young age of just 46.

Sadly, Dick was unable to return home for the funeral.  The 'little girl' mentioned was, apparently, his girlfriend.

Dick’s mother’s funeral was yesterday and he could not come.  Isn’t that tough.  I guess he feels pretty blue and his little girl is still in the sanitarium improving rather slowly.

After a few brief mentions of Dick, Sig wrote on May 14, 1918.

Haven’t heard from Dick for an age.  Several balloons exploded in his camp but his folks tell me that he didn’t happen to be in the midst.  He most likely will write me all about it.

Just a few days later - May 19, 1918.  I can't get enough of the loving words Sig and Loraine wrote to each other.

Heard from Dick and the poor fellow is certainly working hard.  He is driving a truck all day long and says he works until he is “all in”.  He will be one boy who will be happy when the war is over.  The girls out there treat the soldiers very nice but he says he craves for the company of the real western girl – and then he would be happy.  I supposed when I am on my way I will be worse in that regard than is he.  Saw a Red Cross picture last night of a girl in love with a soldier boy.  Sweetheart it reminded me of you so much because she loved him so much, and I really thought deeply of you all night.

June 2, 1918

Had a letter from Dick yesterday.  He likes Omaha better every minute.  He says the girls out there are just showering the boys with attention.  It won’t be long before Fresno will not have any young men left.  Every day bunches are leaving.  

Not much news about Dick until November 22, 1918.

Read in the paper that Dick Crawford is home on a furlough.  Isn’t that great. 

November 29, 1918 - SPECIAL DELIVERY

And I first just left Dick and Helen - poor kid leaves at 3 a.m. for Virginia.  He is on a furlough and tried to get discharged while here but nothing doing.  They wouldn't allow him an extension or anything - wired him to come right back.

December 11, 1918.  Was Dick heading home now?

Had a card from Dick en route and he said his train was crowded with aviators homeward bound.  

December 12, 1918.  Sounds like he was on his way home.

Just had a letter from Dick – he has arrived safely and expects his discharge before the 15th.  He says he is crazy to get back into God’s country.  

December 26, 1918.  Just in time for Christmas.  I wonder what "quite natural" looks like.

Dick arrived home last night and is back for good.  He changed his clothes at once and looks quite natural.

January 5, 1919.

I’ve only been with Dick once or twice since he is back as I have spent most of my evenings writing to you and then home to bed and then thinking of you.  

January 14, 1919.  Sounds like Dick is busy catching up.

Don’t hardly see Dick at all – I fear he is too busy with dates.  

January 17, 1919.  Now Dick is planning to catch up with Sig.

Don’t see any of the fellows anymore, even at night.  They say they are all too busy, but I have a date with Dick tomorrow night.  I even sold his home this week – can you beat that.
January 18, 1919.  And they did!

I am up to the club with Dick and we are having a nice visit.  Just before dinner tonight I made a deal netting $200.00 commission.  Pretty good finish for the week.

January 19, 1919.  And now Dick is back to catching up with Helen.

It is a beautiful sunshiny day but I am too lazy even to go riding.  Dick just came in and he is half asleep and left to go out and see Helen.  He will have to wake up or she won’t enjoy his company. 

January 29, 1919.  Lots of changes in Dick's life.

I had a glimpse of Dick today – never get a visit with him as he is too busy with his women.  And tomorrow he is moving away out to their new place which I leased them so I guess he won’t get down town much at nights.  With all my deals I am changing many homes on the first of the month. 

February 14, 1919.  

Dick & I are going to visit a little while tonight.  There is a soldiers night at the armory but I’ll not go. 

February 15, 1919.  I'm glad Sig and Dick are still 'hanging out' and I'm sure they looked dapper in their uniforms - where are the photos of that?

What do you think?  I went out last night to the soldiers and sailor ball.  They requested me to come so Dick & I went in uniform.  It was simply packed and quite a sight.  The music and life was quite a change for me after all my strenuous grind of hard work. 

And as my grandmother would say, that was that.  Sig and Loraine were married just 4 days later so that was all I read about Dick.  It sounds like he was a special friend of Sig's but I don't know if their friendship continued after Sig was married.

I did learn that Dick followed in his father's footsteps and became an optometrist.  He went on to marry Estelle Kuster and together they had two sons, Stanly Francis Crawford (1920-2009) and Edwin Dickey Crawford (1926-2013).  

Edwin Dickey Crawford died on 13 Dec 1954, coincidentally the day before I was born.

Fresno Bee, December 14, 1954, page 1

I've contacted a few people on Ancestry who might have some knowledge of Dick but since it looks like he only had one grandchild, I'm not sure I'll hit pay dirt with those contacts.

I never heard Dick's name mentioned but since he died before I was born, I guess that's to be expected.  But I'm happy to learn what a great friend he was to my grandfather during a very difficult time for both of them.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. This was like a movie! Well done on highlighting a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have been in the restroom for the middle of the movie.

      Delete