Sunday, September 5, 2021

52 Ancestors: School - Gerry and Gordon Graduate

Labor Day weekend is always a tough time for me as my dad died on Labor Day in 2005 which was September 5.  I can't believe it's been 16 years ago today.  So when the prompt of School came up, I thought there was nothing better than to write about my dad, Gordon Levy and my mom, Gerry Martin.

Dad received his Bachelor's Degree in 1949 (5 years due to military service) - I wrote a bit about his early college days HERE and HERE.  I just ran across another photo album (WHY do I stash them in different locations?) and thought I'd share a few photos here.

My mom, Gerry Martin, graduated from Stanford with a BA, Economics 7 April, 1950.  I always wondered why she studied Economics - ick.  But she did and sure was a proud graduate.

Gerry Martin, 7 April 1950, Stanford University

Not sure if this was before or after the ceremony but, thankfully, dad labeled it for me.


Oh I'm sure Dad wished he had a telephoto lens - somewhere in that crowd of graduates is my mom.


And her graduation photo from The Quad, the Stanford yearbook, in 1950.


After his undergraduate graduation, Dad continued on with his graduate degree and kept at it even after their marriage in September, 1950.  And just like that he was done and then participated in the graduation ceremony on 6 April, 1951.

   Gordon Levy, MBA, 6 April, 1951, Stanford University

They looked so happy (and probably so thankful it was finally over).

Gordon and Gerry Levy, 1951

And proof that the parents all attended.  Fortunately, it's an easy drive from Fresno to Palo Alto.

Sig Levy, Loraine (Gunzendorfer) Levy, Clara (Fitzgerald) Hunter, Shel Hunter

And from the 1951 yearbook.



I think about my parents every day but Labor Day weekend is always so tough.  I'm always so happy when I can remember Dad in my blog.











No comments:

Post a Comment