Sunday, August 8, 2021

52 Ancestors: Favorite Name - The "other" Ferdinand

As you probably remember, Ferdinand Gunzendorfer was my 2nd great grandfather.  He was born 1 August 1838 in Adelsdorf, Bavaria, Germany and died 20 October 1907 in Monterey, California.  He was married to Fannie Goldstein in 1863 and together they had four sons - Gustave George (1864-1939), Adolph (1866-1932), Abraham (1869-1944), and Jacob (1871-1960).  Abraham was the father of Mildred Loraine Gunzendorfer, my paternal grandmother.  These facts are confirmed.

But there are other Gunzendorfers that I am trying to link to my Gunzendorfers.  I have put together a tree for a family in New York that I suspect are related to my Gunzendorfers.  

The most likely link of that family is Adolph Guzendorfer (1867-1943) who was born in Adelsdorf, Bavaria, Germany.  From passport applications from he and his brother, Ludwig (1874-1929), their father was Bernard/Bernahard/Bernardt (1829-1908?)  Adolph arrived in the United States somewhere between 1879-1888 and married Lena Wasserman 17 November 1895 in New York.  

I know that Adolph and Lena had one daughter, Lenore, who was born 13 October 1896 in New York.  My grandmother wrote in her 28 November 1918 letter to my grandfather, after they had announced their engagement: 

"Quite a coincidence, sweetheart.  Dad has a cousin in N.Y. who has a daughter my age and whose name is similar to mine, Lenore.  They were at Del Monte nine years ago when I met her.  We later corresponded for some time but the last few years lost track of each other.  Yesterday we received a letter telling of her engagement.  Funny, isn’t it?  Now I’ll have to write to her to inform her of mine."

I know that Lenore was married on 17 June, 1919 and my grandmother was married on 23 February 1919.  So if you're tracking with me, this means that Loraine's father, Abraham Gunzendorfer, was the cousin of Lenore's father, Adolph.  Right?  Which would mean that Abraham's father, Ferdinand, was the brother of Adolph's father, Bernard.  Right?  Dates of birth are within 10 years of each other so the timeline matches.

Years ago I connected with some of the New York Gunzendorfer family and this blog post reminds me that I need to get back to that.  I just KNOW they are related to my family.

But back to my favorite name.  While not necessarily my favorite name, the name that haunts me is Ferdinand Gunzendorfer.  No, not that Ferdinand but this one.

Congregation of Ahavas Achim Cemetery
French Camp, San Joaquin County, California
Findagrave memorial #25960680

One little clue.  My grandmother wrote on 30 September 1917 about a Dr. Franklin and said:
"my father's cousin in Stockton is a very good friend of his."
So her father, Abraham, also had a cousin in Stockton.  And the cemetery above, Ahavas Achim Cemetery, is located in Stockton.  But how does this Ferdinand fit in with the NY Gunzendorfers?  I've searched and searched for him and, for the most part, have come up empty.  I think that this Ferdinand may have actually been born in 1864 rather than 1874 as stated on the tombstone.  Which would make him fairly close in age to NY Adolph.  Maybe another brother to NY Adolph and his brother, Ludwig?  So did Bernard name a child Ferdinand in "honor" of his brother?  There are so many pieces that tie these two families together but I just can't put the puzzle together.

I've thought about this for so many years and even blogged about it before.  I NEED to get back on this and solve it once and for all!

Any suggestions?








2 comments:

  1. Yes, search without a date. Please solve this mystery quickly so that I am not tempted to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the name Gunzendorfer, with or without a date really doesn't matter :-)

      Delete