Friday, June 25, 2021

52 Ancestors: Groups - Fresno Grammar School

Several years ago I ran across this photo.

It was an abnormal size and not in great condition so I put it aside for later.  I recognized the little guy second from left in the bottom row as my grandfather, Sigmund Levy, so I knew it had to be a group of school children.  And then, of course, later never arrived and there it sat.

Sig Levy

Recently I looked at it and thought again "hey, I wonder what the occasion was".  And as I went through more things, I realized I had this.


Sadly, I only have the clipping above and don't know which newspaper it was in.  But I DO know now that my picture is that of the 1902 Fresno Grammar School graduating class.  My guess is that Sig gave the newspaper a copy of the photo and they used it in their "Remember When" article.

I looked for a little for more information about Fresno Grammar School and found some interesting photos.

Study Hall at Fresno Grammar School, c. 1900

I wonder if Sig is in there somewhere?


Fresno Grammar School, c. 1916

And look at this - a list of the 1902 Fresno Grammar School midyear graduates.

Fresno Bee, Fresno, California, 24 February 1952, page 32

Not a familiar name in the group except for one very important one.  

So I pulled out the The Owl, Commencement Number (Fresno High School yearbook) from June, 1906 to see how many of the students were still together.  Looks like quite a few - what a group!




Sadly, Sig isn't pictured since he graduated in February but I do have a photo of him from about that time - I wonder if either of the other two young men were listed above.

Sig Levy (right) rockin' the swimsuit!




No comments:

Post a Comment