Sunday, July 18, 2021

52 Ancestors: Transportation - It takes all kinds

This week's blog prompt reminded me of a few posts I've already written about Transportation.  You can refresh your memory here.

TRANSPORTATION

NATIONAL AVIATION DAY

MACHINES AND ROADSTERS AND CARS...OH MY!

As I looked through my photos to find a transportation theme, I came across many different forms of transportation, some of which we don't often think about as transportation.  But if it gets you from Point A to Point B, it's transportation in my book.  Sit back while I have some fun!

Of course, a car is what typically comes to mind.  And I have lots of photos of people beside or inside cars.  My favorite might be this picture of me with big sister and Mom - maybe in Hawaii (based on big sister's clothes) in 1961.  Wait - Mom looks pregnant which she was in 1961 so this is probably correct.


And then this classic of Dad in a car.  I have a vague memory of this car - probably the car they had when I was a small child.  Am I remembering correctly that it's a 1957 Chevy?  And the house doesn't look familiar so, perhaps, it's the house on Cheryl Way they moved from in 1958?


There you go, Dad, this looks like quite a classic!


This must be a "prop" from somewhere - but where?  Reminds me of what my grandmother used to refer to as a "machine".  Looks like fun!


Not really much of a photo - just a mom and her kids packing up to go somewhere, maybe family camp or the beach?  What really caught my eye, though, is the car in the garage - if I remember it is a Buick Skylark (1962?) which is the car I learned to drive in.  And if I remember correctly, at one point my sister and I "shared" this car to use to go back and forth to school.


Here's a few different cars and trucks.  I think this must have been the Homecoming "parade" in 1969.



Haha - this was quite a car.  I remember loving that Disneyland ride because it felt like you were really driving.


And then we start getting a little more obscure.  But donkeys are a good way of getting around, aren't they?

A few years later, we "graduated" to horses.  Boy did we have fun with these two!


Little brother didn't get very far on his horse.


Of course boats are a form of transportation.  Some for many people....



And some for just a few.


Lake Tahoe - I'm holding the little kid.

We were always forbidden to ride a motorcycle - hopefully this is as close as little brother got.


Of course there are many ways to get from Point A to Point B at Disneyland.  The Monorail or Skyway....


The Matterhorn.....


Or the Caterpillar to travel through the Looking Glass.


A few other modes of transportation.  I think Mom may have made a friend during one of their trips - maybe he was their guide for the jeep?



Now this is an interesting contraption.  But looks like we were having fun - or at least little brother was!



Stage coach was a comfortable way to get from Point A to Point B back in the day.


 

My cousin is taking the fun way to get into the water.


Of course planes are a common form of transportation.  I think that's me bringing up the rear.


Mom didn't have much of an adventurous streak which is why she just stood beside the Mercury.



That's a lot of forms of transportation.  But none was as unusual as this.  A SNAIL?????



4 comments:

  1. I guess Disney retired those caterpillar rides by the time we took our girls to Disney World. But I remember Mr Toad’s Wild Ride. It was so silly but I don’t think I’ve laughed so hard in my life. I enjoyed this fun trip through the Levy photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Toad was the wildest ride in the park back in the 60’s. I was too afraid to even get on it.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your family photos of usual and unusual transportation!

    ReplyDelete