Sunday, June 20, 2021

52 Ancestors: Father's Day - Dad and me

I don't think I'll ever get over feeling somewhat down and sad on Father's Day - while I have lots of memories of my dad, each passing year puts them farther back in my mind.  So, today I'll take some time to reflect on some of the little things.

Being the second child is a sad and glad - glad that I have a big sister (and a bonus glad when my brother came into our lives) but sad because I had to "share" Dad with others.  So, try as I might I've found very few pictures of just me and Dad, particularly because Dad was the photographer so getting him into the picture was rare.  But a few popped up.

Dad and Me, c. 1959-1960

While I love the photo, it sparks so many memories other than the two peeps sitting at the fireplace.  Those two glass ballerina type figures were always displayed prominently in our house.  You can only see one of the items on either side of the clock but they were there until we packed up the house in 2013.  And although the chair had moved, it was also still there in 2013.  Remember my parents never threw anything away.

The soot above the fireplace was just a bit darker after 50+ years

See the chair?  Maybe it had been recovered but it sure needed a good cleaning.

In 1957 my sister, who was 5 at the time, apparently decided she wanted to become a photographer so Dad let her have a turn behind the camera.

She didn't do a bad job!

I know there are women who aren't fortunate enough to have their dad walk them down the aisle but I was sure lucky to have mine there with me!

Boy had we changed in 17 years!

One incident that is as fresh today as it was 50+ years ago was my dad's frustration with me because I never wiped off the peanut butter knife.  For anyone who grew up with me, you know that peanut butter was my favorite, and I mean FAVORITE, food of all time.  If he told me once he told me 100 times to not just put the knife with the peanut butter into the sink but to wipe it off before I threw it in.  I was sure surprised when I didn't follow his constant order suggestion and just tossed it in.  Dad was right there to make sure, once and for all, that I never did that again when he picked up the knife and calmly wiped the leftover peanut butter on the back of my hand.  Yep, he was right - I never, ever did it again.

My dad was one of a kind and we still laugh at some of the things he said and did.  He was never shy and quickly became friends with everyone he met and was always the life of the party.  Boy, do I miss you, Dad!

To read more about my dad, you can read one of my previous Father's Days posts HERE.  




2 comments:

  1. How did I miss this? Such a sweet post. I need your dad here to wipe peanut butter on my husband’s hand. I HATE the smell of a peanut butter knife in the sink. And I HATE washing it off. I usually use a wet paper towel now because the peanut butter on a dish cloth is just gross.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of my dad EVERY TIME I have a peanut butter sandwich.

      Delete