Monday, March 12, 2012

And now a word from our sponsor

In anticipation of the release of the 1940 US Census on April 2, I've been focusing on events in the 1940's and how they have affected my family.  But I need to take a break to share a FANTASTIC discovery.

I've written a lot about my elusive 3rd great grandfather, Emery Waller, and his first wife, Rebecca Parker, who died 6 days after giving birth to my 2nd great grandmother, Rebecca Waller.  And I've written about my Black Sheep family member, William Warren McAboy, my 2nd great grandfather and Rebecca Waller's husband.  And when I posted the obituary for Rebecca Moriah Waller McAboy, my last comment was that I hoped at some point I'd run across a photo of her.

Well guess what arrived in my in-box this morning from my new cousin, Kris?  Yep, that's right - a photo of Rebecca Moriah Waller McAboy!  Kris went through some things with her mom and came across this photo labeled Mariah, c. 1920......which means this is our 2nd great grandmother.  How cool is that????


Rebecca Moriah Waller McAboy
c. 1920
I can't put my finger on the expression on her face - she seems somewhat sad, thoughtful, but most of all, tired.  But I think she's beautiful and I can't stop looking at this photo!

Thank you, thank you, thank you Kris!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. She is indeed beautiful! I think there's a calmness about her. Tiredness, too, maybe, but definitely a gentle calmness.

    Congratulations on meeting a new cousin and seeing your great-great-grandmother for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the kind of thing that keeps me blogging. It makes the hairs on my arms stand up. I've had a couple of similar experiences and I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful for you, Debi! I love her expression. I think she looks like someone just told her a dirty joke and she's trying not to laugh. Just look at that smirk! She is definitely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete