Sunday, September 20, 2020

52 Ancestors: On the Map - Stanford University

This week's blog prompt is On the Map.  Last week I wrote about my dad attending Stanford University - you can read it HERE.  As I was preparing the post, I scanned a map of Stanford in 1941 that I found in his things and intended to include it but - I forgot.  Was it that damn age thing or did I 'intentionally' forget so I could put it in the blog this week?  I like to think it was the latter.

Here's the map from 1941.  It was folded neatly so not sure if this was just some sort of memento or if he actually used it.


I'm pretty sure my dad lived in Buchanan Hall when he first arrived in 1944 but I don't see it on this map.  I found a map for the present day but I don't see it here, either.


From Buchanan Hall, he went to Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity.  I remember him telling me that people suggested he not join that fraternity because it was too "Jewish".  I don't see it on either map but I did find a photo of it from the 1949 yearbook.


During the 1944-1945 academic year, Dad was an Associate Sports Editor for the Stanford Daily.  That's him on the left with the crazy sweater.

1947 Stanford Daily Staff

He stayed a member of Phi Sigma Kappa until he completed his MBA studies but I'm guessing once he graduated in 1949 he no longer lived in the house.  But he was the first-term president, a role he must have loved because he was always serving in one way or another throughout his life.


Here's the portion of the page showing some members of Phi Sigma Kappa in 1949.  I remember as kids my sister and I would pour over the pages looking for missing students and scream with delight when we'd find the Indian (they were the Stanford Indians in those days).  Poor Norman Miller must have been sick the day photos were taken but the Indian was only too happy to take his place.


Dad always liked to be on the Debate team and in 1947, he was a member of the Delta Sigma Rho team.  Here he is, second from right.  

1947 Stanford Debate Team - Delta Sigma Rho
H. Hawkes, M. Gray, Professor Emerson, J. Soares, G. Levy, M. Thompson

Dad may not have been "on the map" but he did have the map!




3 comments:

  1. Were the people saying that about the fraternity themselves Jewish? Did they know that your father was Jewish (hard not to know with a name like Levy)? Or was this some form of fear on the part of Jewish students not wanting to be known as Jewish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know the specifics but I suspect it was the latter.

      Delete
  2. So sad. I hope things have changed somewhat, but it appears we are slipping backwards.

    ReplyDelete