Sunday, September 13, 2020

52 Ancestors: Back to School - Gordon goes to Stanford

As I've been organizing the ephemera that my family saved, I ran across some interesting things related to my dad's college experience at Stanford University.  One item I come across nearly every day is this Stanford jacket that hangs in my closet - it prompts a smile even though I wonder why I keep it and how much more dust it can collect.

Dad was a proud Stanford grad

Dad graduated from Fresno High School in June, 1944 and by July was off to start the next phase of his life at Stanford University.  I found MANY letters that Mom wrote to him beginning July 8, 1944 but I don't know why he moved onto campus so early.  And there are also lots of letters to him from his parents.  What's interesting, though, is that Mom apparently didn't have the "save everything" gene because I haven't found one letter that he wrote to her.

Dad received a scholarship of $400 for his freshman year.   That equates to about $6,000 in today's dollars and with tuition now over $50,000 per year, that would still leave a lot for a family to manage.  





After about six weeks, Dad apparently discussed joining the Army Reserve Corps.  It's interesting to note that based on his military records, he enlisted on 1 July, 1944 and entered into the Army Air Force on 16 June, 1945.  I hope he let G.F. Sensabaugh know that he would not be joining them.


After 18 months in the Army Air Force, Dad was back at Stanford to finish his studies.  

Dad was a member of Phi Sigma Kappa Fraternity and even saved a statement from June, 1948.  As our first grandchild heads off to college this week, I'm sure her parents would love to see the first housing statement look like this.  Look at that - 35 cents extra for a towel!


On 5 February, 1948, the College Entrance Examination Board mailed him a "ticket" to take the Law School Admission Test on 28 February, 1948.  I vaguely remember hearing about him wanting to go into law but I would have buried that in my mind if I hadn't found this.

And just a month later, his results were in the mail.  Law School 617 was Stanford University which, apparently, was the only school he had his results sent to.  Thankfully, there was an interpretation of scores on the back so I could figure out how he'd done on the exam.

It's hard to read but with a score of 451, it looks like only 32% of candidates received a lower score for that testing period.  I'm guessing that's why we never heard much about Law School and why he decided to obtain a MBA from Stanford, graduating in 1951.



He also obtained his college transcript, which may have been used to gain entrance into the Business Administration program.  It's hard to read but I see a few "C's" there, proof that he wasn't always perfect.  But boy did he strive to be and instilled that in us during our school years.


Way down on the right side it says Advanced Standing, 3/47: Allowed 6 q.u. for military service which is why he had no classes/grades for 1945-1946 or the fall quarter of 1946.  

And here's his diploma to prove that he successfully completed the program.  I remember this hanging on the wall for years - he must have been very proud.



It never occurred to me that while my parents were married in September, 1950, he didn't complete his MBA until April, 1951.  I knew they stayed in Palo Alto for the first year or so after they were married so this must be why.  

Stanford will always hold a very special place in my heart since both Mom and Dad graduated from there.  And we spent many, many Saturday afternoons watching their beloved team (Indians at the time) play football.  I'm so glad I came across these things!

Gordon Levy
Stanford grad 1949




5 comments:

  1. Your dad is so handsome! It's fun to see all the family memorabilia you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to see it but not so fun to organize and store it. Ha!

      Delete
  2. Such wonderful keepsakes. I was interested in the LSAT results---that even back then, there was such a thing. Did you know they started standardized tests to prevent colleges (and law schools) from only admitting "legacy" applicants--i.e, those who had the right credentials (i.e., not Jewish)? I'd guess that a 451 back then was comparable to a 451 on the SATs because for many years, the two tests used a similar 200-700 scale. That was true until sometime in the 1990s, if I am remembering correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting about why they started standardized tests, especially the "not Jewish" part. I seem to remember my Dad saying many thought his fraternity was "too Jewish". It looks like the test then was based on a scale of 750.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting! I wonder when they lowered it to 700. All so crazy. What started out as a way to ensure there wasn't discrimination in the admissions process now tends to block diversity. So many schools are now doing away with them, fortunately.

    ReplyDelete