Sunday, July 14, 2013

Invitations

One thing I’ve learned about my grandmother, Loraine Gunzendorfer, is that she was very social and liked to party.  The next page of the scrapbook is titled Invitations – the title speaks for itself!

Empty Envelope

Uh-oh, this envelope is empty.  I love how it is addressed to just Monterey, Calif. and then c/o “The White House”.  I guess in 1914 Monterey was pretty small and everyone knew everyone so the postman didn’t have to think too hard about where to deliver the mail.

Could this invitation have been inside?  The size fits and it’s on the same page of the scrapbook but the handwriting is different.  Funny how they had to add the word “each” after the admission so it was clear that it would be $1.00 for a couple.

First Assembly Ball

Here’s another one.  The invitation has been inside the envelope for nearly 100 years – check out the discoloration.

Envelope Hi Jinks Club

Hi Jinks Invitation

I guess once the invitation was presented it was returned so that it could be kept as a memento.  I’ll bet no one expected it to be kept for 100 years!

Grandma’s cousin, Irene Gunzendorfer, announced her engagement on December 6, 1914.

Engagement Sherwin Gunzendorfer 

And then came another invitation!

Invitation Sherwin Gunzendorfer

Jake Gunzendorfer was the youngest son on Ferdinand and Fannie (Goldstein) Gunzendorfer and brother to my great grandfather, Abraham Gunzendorfer.
Grandma was a bridesmaid in the wedding.

Wedding Sherwin Gunzendorfer

And another newspaper article with a picture of Irene.  I need to go through the box of unidentified photos I have and see if I can find anyone who might be Irene.

Wedding Sherwin Gunzendorfer w picture

Last but not least is an invitation to the wedding of Grandma’s high school classmate, Mary Salterbach, to Mr. Howard Hatton.  This wedding was held 5-6 years after the other events, which probably explains why the invitation was just loose on the page.

Invitation Salterbach Hatton

I would sure love to run across some photos of Grandma all dressed up for these events!

9 comments:

  1. Debi, you have such treasures in these hundred year old items! You're right: I'm sure no one back then would have imagined that we would be enjoying perusing these items today. I hope the picture helps you identify some otherwise mystery photographs in the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure my grandmother never imagined it, either. Of course I guess she wouldn't have kept these things if she wasn't hoping that someday someone would find them.

      Delete
  2. Although I have lots of photos from both my grandmothers, I don't have much in the way of scrap books. However, in moving some boxes yesterday, I realized that I have a lot of this kind of stuff of my mother's from the late '40's and '50's. One of these days I will have to go through and scan those scrap books to share on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, it has been fascinating to go through the scrapbook page by page. I'm not only perserving the contents for years to come but I'm learning so much about my grandmother and love seeing her as a young woman.

      Delete
  3. The Hi-Jinks Club. Sounds swingin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to know more about THAT organization!

      Delete
  4. These are fantastic Debi! And like Wendy, I took note of the Hi-Jinks Club too. Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debi,

    I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2013/07/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-july-19-2013.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete