Monday, March 23, 2020

52 Ancestors: Popular - Fresno High School 1944

When thinking about this blog prompt, my thoughts immediately went to my dad, Gordon Levy.  I'd always known he was popular in high school (and beyond) so pulled out his year book from 1944, the year he graduated from Fresno High School, to see what I could find.  Since my mom graduated from Fresno High School in 1946, I'm a little surprised to only have one (where is hers?) because as you probably recall, MY FAMILY SAVED EVERYTHING!

The Owl, Fresno High School, 1944

Sure enough, there were dozens and dozens of well-wishes from his classmates.  Here's a sample.



Of course, I instantly looked for the message from his girlfriend, and my mother, Gerry Martin.  And here it is.

I'll leave it small in order to preserve some privacy

What's really interesting is that I knew my dad graduated on June 9, 1944, just three days after D-Day.

Commencement Exercises
Fresno High School, 1944

My dad was the Valedictorian of the class and gave a speech entitled "To Promote the General Welfare, to Secure the Blessings of Liberty".  I'm still on the lookout for a copy of the speech.




And here he is on the list of graduates from June.  His BFF from his early days and throughout his lifetime was Jimmy Bradshaw, who is also on the list.  I don't really recognize any of the other names.



The last page shows the January graduates, those who would graduate in July, and the Seal-Bearers, those who have on their diplomas the gold seal of California Scholarship Federation.  And there is dad and Jimmy Bradshaw again.  Proud daughter moment.



Puzzled that I don't see dad's cousin, Gilda Levy, on any of the lists since she was only 2 months younger than dad.  I know she was there in 1943 as she and my dad worked together on the Owl staff.  I don't see her photo in the class photos, either.

My dad was the Fall Semester President.



These are the notes below describing the Executive Committee, Fall Semester.

With a platform of better rallies and assemblies and more interest in student body government, President Gordon Levy began the semester by appointing a hard working executive committee, which gave the administration a flying start.

It goes on with more detail but I won't bore you with that.

There are several pages of collages and this photo caught my eye.  It is titled 6 boys and a girl so it doesn't really help me much but I'm wondering if the young man circled is my dad.  Maybe, maybe not.



This leads me back to D-Day, June 6, 1944.  It's really at the forefront of my mind because during this time of social distancing and staying home, we have been watching Band of Brothers and The Pacific.  They are produced by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks (get well soon, Tom) and are exceptional.  I am NOT someone who typically likes war movies/series but these are outstanding.  I'm sure you can find them elsewhere but we're watching them through Amazon Prime.

So my popular dad has led me to D-Day.  Who knew?




4 comments:

  1. I struggled with this prompt. I felt like I had said everything there was to say about my mother who was popular in school. Featuring the messages in her yearbook would have been a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggled too which is why I moved from Fresno High School to D-Day. And I had to fit it in between episodes of Band of Brothers. :-)

      Delete
  2. I tried to read your mom's inscription in his yearbook but found some of it hard to read. Maybe you can transcribe it? It did seem rather a personal note to put in a yearbook. I guess she was afraid he thought she was immature. How long after high school did they marry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6 years after he graduated from high school. They had both finished their under grads at Stanford and he spent a year in the military.

      Delete