Sunday, May 17, 2020

52 Ancestors: Travel - Mom & Dad See the World

This weeks' blog prompt brought back many happy memories of traveling as a kid.  We were fortunate to go to Hawaii several times, Disneyland (only 400 miles away!), and even a swing to the east coast to visit New York and Washington D.C.  While I have the memories, I haven't run across any photos of those journeys yet; however, I did just recently find some movies of trips to Hawaii.

As we grew older, Mom & Dad continued to travel although they seemed to focus more on international travel.  So, I wasn't all that surprised when I opened a steel box marked insurance policies to find these.


These passports were issued in 1969 and expired in 1974.  There must have been other passports but I haven't run across those yet.

It's fun to see the photo that was used since I have copies of both of these photos but had no idea what they were for or what year they were taken.  So I can check that question off my list.





In each of their passports a Registration was stapled that listed the articles that they were bringing into the country with them.  I don't know which trip this was from but it was interesting to see Mom's jewelry and Dad's camera gear.

There was also a record of all of the immunizations they received prior to traveling.  I remember a lot of discussion about these shots as they went through the series.  Joseph Fischer was their long time physician.


And pages and pages of stamps.  I can't read them all (hey, it's been 50 years since they were stamped) but I did get an inkling of where they went.  In 1969 they went to Philippines, Indonesia, and Hong Kong and may have re-entered the U.S. through Honolulu.  And in 1973 they entered in London and in 1975 through Budapest.


Look at that - I'd previously found a photo of Mom arriving at Kemayoran Airport so this must have been 1969.


I've spent some time lately with old movies and slides and found some photos that look to be of their travels but I have no idea when or where they were.  If anyone recognizes any of these places, let me know!

I've done a search to see if I could figure out this big building but came up empty.


Could this be the Coliseum in Rome?






As usual, Dad carried a ton of stuff around his neck.  No wonder he used to complain about his bad back!

I have no clue on this photo but boy does she look happy.  Either that or she smiled as she thought to herself "will he please stop taking pictures?"



What the heck?  Pay no attention to the stocks but how about those glasses?



Dad didn't very often get his photo taken as he was usually hiding behind the camera and even though I suspect this is in Monterey (no passport required), I had to include it.  Not only did they honeymoon in Monterey but my grandmother was raised there.  So a pretty special place all around.



This looks to be the same day.  And, of course, a camera around his neck.  One thing I've learned, though, is that while he always had a camera with him, he wasn't necessarily a great photographer.  :-)  But he sure was handsome!



This photo could be from most anywhere.  I love that they're all dressed up and someone snapped a photo of them.


Most of their international travel was after the girls were too old to care about travel, but I think little brother might have gone along on one or more of these trips.  Maybe he'll chime in with some memories.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, they really did see the world! Have you inherited a love of travel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've traveled extensively in the U.S. (50 states, 51 capitals) but we haven't been abroad. We were planning to do that in retirement but we all know what's happened to travel now. :-(

      Delete
  2. Well, I sure hope we can travel again sometime. Not this year, but let's hope for 2021?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? I didn't leave a comment? I was scrolling back through your blog to make sure I was caught up. I remember reading this when you posted. I enjoyed THEN and again NOW. Your mom in the stocks - I refuse to pose in stocks, pillories, and jail cells - I make Barry do that. HA HA

    ReplyDelete