Friday, March 6, 2020

52 Ancestors: Strong Woman - Minnie Dauterman

My last post was Favorite Discovery where I wrote about my favorite discovery being the one I found that day.  And as luck would have it, the next day I found a new favorite discovery but because I haven't blogged since, here it is today.

Minnie Dauterman Guzendorfer
about 1896

Minnie Juliet Dauterman, born 17 April 1864, was married to my great grandfather's brother, Gustave George Gunzendorfer.  I wrote about Gustave awhile back and was confused as to the end of their marriage, potential divorce, and how Minnie ended up taking back her maiden name.  You can read it HERE

But then a few weeks ago I found new information about Minnie.


San Francisco Examiner
1 Feb 1924, page 11
Uh-oh.  Gustave, a successful attorney, couldn't pay his alimony in cash but instead wanted to pay in booze. 

Minnie must have been very strong for in those days, I'm not sure too many women would have pursued things.  I don't know, maybe I'm wrong but then I found this.

San Francisco Examiner
28 November 1924, page 17

My hunch was right in that Gustave left Minnie and from what I can find, she wasn't too happy about it.  I'm going to keep searching and see if I can find information on how the case ended up.  Then THAT will be my favorite discovery.

More research needed but this is an interesting rabbit hole I'm going down.



2 comments:

  1. It's amazing to me that these stories made the newspaper. We complain about social media and lack of privacy, but even back then, gossip sold newspapers.

    I love the first article's play on "liquid assets." Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Liquid assets" - "Mrs Flesh" the other woman - wow, what a name! Man, what a case! Those old newspapers didn't hold back.

    ReplyDelete