Wednesday, July 31, 2019

52 Ancestors: Brother

This is a perfect prompt for me this week as I have a lot of "brothers" in my tree.  So many, in fact, that I was having trouble picking just one.  But then it hit me that my paternal grandfather, Sig Levy, was born 131 years ago today and instantly became a little brother.  So in honor of Sig and his three brothers....

Sig Levy was born to Goldie (Benas) and Herman Levy on 31 July 1888 in Vallejo, California.  Why Vallejo?  As my mother told me, because Goldie escaped the Fresno heat to be with her parents in Vallejo.  Is it really all that much cooler in Vallejo?

I think the first photo I have of Sig is this photo of Herman and Goldie and the first three of their sons in front of their home in Fresno.  I'd guess this photo to be sometime in 1889 based on Sig's age.


Goldie (Benas) and Herman Levy
Leon, Herb, Sig Levy

This is one of my favorite photos of the first three boys - in fact, I have a pencil drawing of a photo from the same photo session framed and hanging on a wall.  I treasure it!


L-R:  Leon, Sig, Herb Levy, c. 1890


The family seemed to have a lot of fun together.  Here are the boys after a day of swimming.  Youngest brother Ben was apparently too young to join in the fun.

Sig (top) Leon (left) and Herb (right) Levy

A few years later Ben was able to join in the photo session - all four brothers together.


L-R:  Herb, Leon, Sig, Ben Levy

And then some fun with dad.


Back:  Leon, Herman, Sig Levy
Front:  Ben Levy and ?????
But wait - Herb must have been busy that day so they added a different boy and hoped no one would notice.  Ha!

And then the boys starting growing up and still posed for photos.


Back, L-R:  Leon, Sig, Ben, Herb
Front:  Goldie and Herman

And then they really grew up and formed a business together, Levy Bros.  What a great time in their lives.

L to R:  Ben, Herb, Sig, Leon

I love how often times they posed in age order.


L to R:  Herb, Leon, Sig, Ben Levy

Then some drama occurred and the brothers went their separate ways.  I don't remember spending time with any of the brothers other than Leon.  But I know Sig and Ben stayed in contact because I remember spending time with Ben's two daughters.  But, sadly, all contact between Sig and Herb (and maybe others) ceased and until I started on this journey, I really knew nothing about Herb.  But I have since connected with some of Herb's grandchildren and great-grandchildren so I feel like the "brother curse" has been erased.

Sig was the last of the brothers to die.  I remember it was just two weeks after his 80th birthday when he was gone.

And I don't want this day to go by without recognizing my own brother.  I just love this thoughtful photo of him.  I used to pretend I had an older brother - I'm sure glad that was just pretend and that I have a younger brother instead!



Here's to brothers!




2 comments:

  1. How sad after all that togetherness that their relationships fractured. Was it over the business?

    Such a wonderful series of photos, even if tinged by that sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have connected with a few grandchildren of my grandfather’s brothers. There was no rift, just distance keeping us from being a closer family, I suppose. I hope Herb’s family gave you some new insight into the feud. Always fun to hear two versions of the truth.

    ReplyDelete