Sunday, June 16, 2019

52 Ancestors: Dear Diary

This week's blog prompt is Dear Diary.  I consider myself one of those fortunate family researchers to have had pack rat ancestors, even though at times it feels overwhelming.  But several years ago I did run across a little diary of my grandmother's which I transcribed and blogged about HERE.  I guess I was just a little ahead of the prompt.

This leads me to think about the hundreds (and I do mean hundreds) of letters that I have which my grandparents, Loraine Gunzendorfer and Sig Levy, wrote back and forth to each other from 1916 until their marriage in 1919.  I am only about 70% complete transcribing them but this first letter from Sig to Loraine is so special that I need to share it.  It is the beginning of a budding romance and, ultimately, a marriage lasting nearly 50 years.  I guess you could say letters are a different version of a diary.




Fresno, California
August 14, 196
10:30 PM
to Monterey
Monday night

Dear Miss Gunzendorfer:

Yes I am in Fresno and have just finished a hard days work.  As I promised, I will send you tomorrow morning's Republican but I fear it will not interest you much as we are now experiencing our very quietest weeks and the paper shows it.  And when I arrived I found one of my men had gone to Yosemite on a pleasure jaunt and things were not in the best of shape.

Now, I am wondering if I am taking too much liberty in writing this note but I believe you said it would be alright.  At any rate I am taking the liberty and I hope it will be well met.



I want to express my sincere appreciation for you coming to the train.  It was certainly an unexpected pleasure - accidental as it was.  We just happened past your house and the folks spotted you.  I had a very nice and quick trip and on board were some of our business men who all are good friends of mine, and one of them really gave you a beautiful trade-last - the gentleman who was in that machine next to ours.  But I guess I'd better save it until you want it.

This note will no doubt arrive in your fair city about as soon as you do.  I trust you had a nice trip home and that you will like your new position.  I am hoping that you will punch out a little time off for me - I know it will be hard




to spare, but I am very appreciative.

If you are really thought you were interested in my paper I will send you copies from time to time as soon as we get real busy with live stunts.  Now look what I did - please pardon the mix-up but there are about seventeen fellows up here all arguing with each other about the war and everything - in the main room they are putting down a new hard wood floor and below the windows many chorus girls are singing at an open-air musical show.  The noise is immense, so I am not accountable.

I just realized how large this little note was getting so I will cease immediately.

Sincerely,

Sig Levy


Address:  Fresno Republican, Fresno

I don't know why I find this first communication from Sig to 'Miss Gunzendorfer' so beautiful.  Maybe it was not just Sig taking the bold step in sending this letter but the innocence of the times and the 50+ year love story this single letter started.  No matter what, I'm sure glad Sig sent this letter or I might not be here today.


Sig Levy




3 comments:

  1. Such a sweet and innocent and cautious letter. Can you explain how they met and why she went with him to the train? I am sure you've written about this, but my memory banks are not cooperating! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know the answer, Amy. I suspect that their cousins, who were married, introduced them but I'll never know for sure. As far as the train, he was living in Fresno and she was living in Monterey (later Oakland) so he must have been traveling through the area. So many questions without answers.

      Delete
  2. Oh, how frustrating! All those scrapbooks and letters and no story about how they met that first time and what really happened. You must want to shake them alive to find out that story!

    ReplyDelete