Sunday, January 13, 2019

52 Ancestors: Challenge

This week’s blog prompt was, well, um……a challenge.

I have lots of challenges with brick wall ancestors, folks who either just showed up or left never to be heard from again, and documenting my ancestry to Ashbel Waller, my Revolutionary War patriot, so that I can join Daughters of the American Revolution.  But today I put all those challenges aside so that I could focus on the unidentified photos I have that were taken by my Great Grandfather, Abraham Gunzendorfer.

I don’t really know for sure if Abe was a “true” professional photographer but I do know that he at least dabbled in it and I have many, many photos to prove it.  I have a box of photos with this on the back.




While it is very cool to have these photos, it really makes it a challenge because I can’t be sure if the people or places are important to my family or just a photo that Abe took and hung on to.

This is, apparently, one of his first photos because he did me a favor and wrote on the back.  Why, why, WHY didn’t people identify the subject by labeling it.  Yes, I know that probably 80% of my photos are blank on the back – I guess I figured I’d never forget which kid is which but as the years go by, I find myself questioning my memory.






Thanks, Abe.  And not only did you tell me that it was your first photograph, I’m extremely happy to have confirmation that you were the Gunzendorfer son who dabbled in photography.

What is the significance of this?  Just an interesting ship or was someone important to you on this ship?



There are many photos of parades and presidential visits – I shared the story of Abe photographing President McKinley’s visit to Monterey in 1901 HERE.  And here’s a parade which I’m guessing is down Alvarado Street, one of the major streets in Monterey at the time.  I can’t be sure but I believe The White House, the Gunzendorfer family mercantile, might be the building just to the left of the Del Monte Drug store.


Speaking of Del Monte, Abe has a few photos of the Hotel Del Monte.  This hotel was established in 1880 and was one of the finest luxury hotels in the country.  During World War II the hotel closed and was leased to the Navy.  It first served as a school for enlisted men and later became the Naval Postgraduate School of the United States Navy.  It is now known as Hermann Hall and functions as administrative offices and hotel for the school.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Del_Monte



Wonder what and where this is?



Could this be the street in Monterey Abe and Bertha lived on?  Or just a beautiful street somewhere in America?



Who are these people?  And did they really just drink all that?



Or these nice young women – who are you?




Or this – should I know this young man?


Wait, wait, wait just a minute.  Could this be Milton Harry Schwartz, Birdie Schwartz Gunzendorfer’s brother?




Milton Harry Schwartz, 28 February 1894

And then as I looked further in the box, I found this.  And on the back it said “M.H. Schwartz, photographer”.  So Milton was a photographer, too?  And this is the same guy, right?  Oh geez, things just got more challenging.




Finally, Abe gave me a clue – check out this photo from 1898.  I’ve seen that dog before and now I know these gents are Jacob W. Gunzendorfer, Abe’s younger brother, and Abe. 




While I love having all of these photos, I wish I didn’t have the challenge of identifying all of the people and places.


6 comments:

  1. The lady on the left of the two in the "nice young women" photo above seems to resemble the somewhat older lady on the left, Rebecca Steen Schwartz, in the 1896 4 generations photo from the Feb. 8, 2015, "Generations" blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fun challenge. I will guess that street scenes and events in town were probably intended for the newspaper or possibly for postcards. It might be fun to plug photos into Google image search to see if Abe’s photos show up. Now I’m off to see what Ben is talking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I've never done that before. I'll check it out!

      Delete
  3. Hmm, I entered a comment, but it didn't go through. Anyway, I empathize with the frustration. My next post is also about a "mystery" photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a mystery photo of a very nice looking man but I had no idea who he was. I asked my mom and she also had no idea. Fast forward to my packrat grandmother's scrapbook where she had pasted a clipping of her father-in-law's obituary and there was that handsome gentleman looking back at me. SCORE! In my mom's defense, it was my dad's grandfather, not hers. :-)

      Delete