Sunday, June 8, 2014

Happy birthday, Mom!

Geraldine c 1928
Geraldine Martin
c. 1928

Today would have been your 86th birthday but, sadly, another year has passed without you here to celebrate.  Lots has happened over the last year – vacations, new jobs, sporting events (the Seahawks won the Super Bowl!) and most importantly, a new great granddaughter ready to enter the world at any moment.
 
Let’s take a look back at your life and toast you on your birthday!

I just discovered this picture in my computer – I’m not sure how I got it because I don’t remember seeing the original.  But here you are with your grandmother, Francis Maria Brooks Martin, and your parents. 

Francis Brooks_Earle_Clara_Geraldine close up
Back row:  Unknown, Earle Martin, Clara Fitzgerald Martin, Unknown
Front row:  Unknown, Francis Brooks Martin, Geraldine Martin
c. 1930

I love this picture – you look so happy!

Geraldine c 1932
Geraldine Martin
c. 1931-1932

Who was this little dog, Mom?  You always were a dog lover!

Geraldine w dog 1945
Geraldine Martin
1945

And this is the girl Dad fell in love with!

Geraldine c 1949
Geraldine Martin
c. 1949

And I know this was one of the happiest days of your life – your wedding day.  You were a beautiful bride!

Gordon_Gerry
Gordon Levy and Geraldine Martin
September 3, 1950

Here’s how I remember you from my childhood.

Geraldine c1960
Geraldine Martin Levy
1960

And look at us with your other grandmother, Mabel Viola McAboy Fitzgerald.

My beautiful picture
Clara Fitzgerald Martin Hunter, Geraldine Martin Levy, Clara McAboy Fitzgerald
Carolyn Levy and me!
c. 1960

50 years of marriage – what an amazing feat!  We loved being with you to celebrate that momentous occasion.

Gerry & Gordon 9_3_2000
Gordon Levy and Geraldine Martin Levy
Golden Wedding Anniversary
September 3, 2000

We had such a wonderful vacation in Kauai with you in 2012 and were happy we could celebrate your 84th birthday with you.  Little did we know that would be the last time we would all be together or that it would be your last birthday.  I’m so thankful we had that time together!

 

Here’s to you, Mom – cheers!!!

Gerry 2012



5 comments:

  1. Your mom looks like she was a very happy person, Debi. I'm sure you miss her lots. Happy Birthday to her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that baby picture -- look at those soft leather shoes. She didn't have that big smile that characterized her later photos, but what a smile she grew into.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tribute to your mom! And your pictures of her are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debi,

    I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2014/06/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-june-13-2014.html

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! This tugs at your heartstrings. The worst thing about aging are the losses of our loved ones we have to endure. My Mom has been gone 25 years and I still miss her greatly.

    ReplyDelete