Sunday, March 23, 2014

And now I’m 3!

Birthday 4_1957


This weekend my blog turns 3.  Three years of blogging (thanks to a nudge from Kerry Scott) and three years of some incredible discoveries.  Three years of some posts I struggled with and three years of some posts I had fun with.  It’s fun to look back at 3 years old both from a blogging perspective and a personal perspective.

Photographs seemed to have slowed down a bit by my 3rd year but I did find a few that were memorable.  Thanks to my dad for captioning them.

Hahahaha 1957
Hahahahaha 1957

Looking behind 1957
Looking Behind 1957

Looks like my sister had a fun party with lots of kids in attendance.

My dad apparently loved this photo and captioned it “The greatest picture ever taken – 1957”  I’m not sure it really qualifies as the GREATEST picture – he may have been a bit biased – but it is pretty cute.

Greatest Photo Ever 1957

My sister has her eyes closed tight as she made that wish!  I wonder what was going through my head?  Maybe “Yikes, there are a lot of candles on that cake”? 

Since my birthday is right before Christmas, this looks to be the closest picture of me near my 3rd birthday.

Christmas Carolers 1957
Christmas Carolers 1957

As I looked back at my blog, I found it interesting which posts were the top five viewed.  I always wonder what draws people to a certain post – maybe they find it by accident, maybe they like it so much they go back to read it, or maybe it’s some auto-generated views.  Whatever draws people here, thanks for stopping by!

And my top 5 posts over the last three years:

Byron Hot Springs – October 23, 2011
My grandmother was a packrat! – July 8, 2012
Sentimental Sunday: Fresno High School – November 6, 2011
Awaiting Shipment – May 12, 2011
My Favorite Page – October 20, 2013

And even though this post wasn’t in my top 5, and not even in my top 10, I have to add it here because it was my all-time favorite.  Not because it was such a great post, but because it was the culmination of one of my greatest discoveries and proudest moments – the story of finally getting my 3rd great grandfather’s grave marked.  At times when I feel like I’m not making any progress I go back and read this post and remind myself that I have made A LOT of progress.

Emery’s “First” Veteran’s Day – November 10, 2011

And now I’m on my way to 4!


9 comments:

  1. Happy Blog Anniversary! May you have many wonderful family discoveries & many happy posts ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a wonderful birthday celebration! Looking at your sister's birthday party, my eyes were drawn to those bottles against the wall. What were those kids drinking ;-)
    And your expression while your sister blew out the candles - well, I'm still laughing. Maybe she got all the candles in one big wooosh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny, Wendy - I didn't even notice the bottles!

      Delete
  3. Yay! (But I'm glad that, unlike a lot of three-year-olds, you're fully potty trained.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debi,

    I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2014/03/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-march-28.html

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debi, that is an excellent idea: to tuck away one blog post that is particularly encouraging to the blogger! Sometimes, a blogger really needs encouragement, but may be the only one there to give it.

    Happy third blogiversary! I wish you many, many more!

    ReplyDelete