Sunday, November 18, 2012

Is this Abe?

Abraham

Who is this man?  Based on the writing on the back of the photo, it seems that it would be my great grandfather, Abraham B. Gunzendorfer.

Abraham Back of Photo
Compliments of
Abe B. Gunzendorfer
Monterey, Cal.
July 31 - 89
With fondest thoughts
from Abe to Birdie
July 31, 1889
Am pleased to return these


Birdie was Abe's future wife and my great grandmother.

Here’s a few other photos of Abe – is this the same person?

Abraham Gunzendorfer


Abraham Gunzendorfer 2

What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. I think it is the same man :-) Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is, too. But the comment on the back "am pleased to return these" has me scratching my head.

      Delete
  2. I say yes, judging by the bit of curl, straight nose, and shape of eyebrows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Wendy. Thanks for helping me confirm it!

      Delete
  3. I'm not 100% sure. The first one looks like he has the attached kind of earlobe, and the second one doesn't look attached to me. It's hard to say for sure though.

    If they aren't the same guy, I'd guess they're definitely related though. There's obviously a strong resemblance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerry, I just found another photo of Abe from 1896 (7 years after this photo). I'm going to send it to you and see what you think. Check your mail!

      Delete