Saturday, May 5, 2012

Will you marry me?


Look at that - the wedding announcement for my paternal grandparents, Mildred Loraine Gunzendorfer and Sigmund Levy!  I found this little gem folded in the original envelope and just ready for mailing, even if it is nearly 100 years later.

My grandmother apparently hated the name Mildred and always used her middle name - looks like she hated it enough to leave it off of her wedding announcement.

The engagement wasn't a long one as I found the newspaper article announcing their engagement in the San Francisco Chronicle, November 10, 1918.  In my treasures I've also found many, many letters of congratulations from their various friends.





I don't know the exact dates of these photos but they seem to be from about the right time period.


Loraine Gunzendorfer




Sigmund Levy





I also found some newspaper articles tossed in with the pile of photos I have.  I have no idea of the dates or the newpaper(s) they were printed in but here's a sample of one of them.




It's so fun to find these treasures - it takes me back to another time and makes the stories of my ancestors so real.

Congratulations Sig and Loraine!

4 comments:

  1. Precious. San Francisco Newspapers have been well reserved as many other newspapers of the neighboring cities. Each city library has it's own collection. I have found it worthwhile to visit the city libraries and look through the micro films and micro- fiche. Wonderful wonderful treasurers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful treasures to find! Wow I am having an ancestor happy dance for you. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a handsome couple! And how thrilling to find their wedding announcement and those newspaper articles as well! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are such terrific finds in your collection. A 1919 wedding invitation--wow! I just love looking at the photographs of our ancestors in their youth. It makes them come alive, young and vibrant. The newspaper articles complete the story. I enjoyed seeing your treasures.

    ReplyDelete