Sunday, May 23, 2021

52 Ancestors: Cousin Bait - Mrs. Gunzendorfer's Nut Cake

One of the best things about having the name Gunzendorfer in my tree is that the name is cousin bait all by itself.  My first blog post told about my start with genealogy when my mom exclaimed "there are no more Gunzendorfers in the United States", which you can read about HERE.  Here's a post from early this year talking about the Beginnings of my blog where I can finally admit that she just might have been right.    

Early in my research I connected with George Fogelson, the author of a book that was my #1 Top 10 Genealogical Find of 2017 - you can read it HERE.  Over the years we've kept in touch and shared information and photos - it's so great to talk with someone who "knows" my family.  A few weeks ago I received an e-mail from George with the subject line Gunzendorfer.  Boy did that pique my interest and I immediately opened it up to see this:


Mrs. Gunzendorfer's Nut Cake?  What the heck?  George was with a friend, Ann, cleaning out some things and this was in her mother's cookbook.  Where and how did her mother get this?

The three of us talked on the phone and it turns out that her grandmother lived in Monterey which is where my Gunzendorfer's lived from about 1860 until 1944.  While my grandmother wasn't born in Monterey, she was raised there and two generations of the family owned/operated the mercantile The White House.  You can read some posts HERE and HERE.

The White House, Monterey, California
Ferdinand Gunzendorfer on top step

Since I had two Mrs. Gunzedorfner's who lived in Monterey - my 2x great grandmother, Fannie, and my great grandmother, Bertha - I didn't know which one made such a delicious Nut Cake that someone would hang on to the recipe all these years.  But her grandmother and mother did!

I don't know too much about censuses but I did determine that in 1900 Ann's great grandparents lived at 422 Franklin Street and my 2x great grandparents lived nearby on Webster Street.  Both families can be found in District 0009, her family on page 18 and my family on page 10.  I'm sure Monterey wasn't that large in 1910 but they were almost neighbors.  Since they weren't too far apart in age, my guess is that the two ladies 'hung out' together and maybe made Nut Cake!

So while not really a cousin, the name Gunzendorfer (who can forget that name, anyway?) "baited" me a new recipe.  Thanks for the introduction, George!


9 comments:

  1. Awesome story! Have you tried making it yet? I hope you will report back on the results when you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried making it but will at some point. I've never heard of cracker dust, though.

      Delete
  2. I wondered about that myself. Maybe like matzoh meal---ground up crackers? I found two definitions---one is ground up gravel, the other some drug. I don't think you want either in your cake! THe only thing that seems likely is "cracker meal" or graham cracker crumbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely don't want gravel or drugs in my cake! It looks like Nabisco has discontinued their cracker flour but I found it here https://nuts.com/cookingbaking/flours/cracker-meal.html?msclkid=5b0b295a5c831fa7d4db49f67ea14d28&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SEM%20NB%20%5BCooking%3A%20Flours%5D&utm_term=cracker%20flour&utm_content=SEM%20NB%20%5BCooking%3A%20Flours%5D%20-%20Cracker%20Flour%20%7C%20%5BCore%5D%20%287352%29%20-%20EM

      Delete
  3. Fantastic! Have you made the cake?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! Send me a slice when it's done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having the right surname certainly serves as cousin bait. Whenever I see "Jollett," I figure they must be related. As for Mrs G's nut cake, it sounds delicious. Can't wait to see photos and a review. I have some old recipes from my great-grandmother but I'm not sure about some of the ingredients, in particular LARD.

    ReplyDelete