Sunday, March 14, 2021

52 Ancestors: Name's the Same - Winfield Scott Byrd

A year ago, the blogging prompt was Same Name and I wrote about my husband's great grandfather, Winfield Scott Byrd.  You can read about it HERE.  

A similar blog prompt this week had me thinking about another ancestor(s) who had the same name and it suddenly occurred to me that as I was preparing last week's blog, I found a photo of Winfield Scott Byrd! 

It started with discovering this photo album that belonged to my mother-in-law.  Sure, I'd seen it before but had tucked it away into a box to save for a rainy day.


I showed it to my husband and we couldn't figure out who most of the people were because many of the photos were loose or just haphazardly thrown in.


My mother-in-law had included a Record of the Photographs, although it was written in pencil so it was a little difficult to read.  And not sure how to figure out who was on which page.


On one page there was a photo of an older gentleman who we thought might have been a teacher.  It was 'glued' down but my husband decided he wanted to look on the back to see if it was labeled.  I about had a heart attack as he lifted the photo out and what did we see?  A labeled photo.  And not just any photo but the label read "Daddy Byrd (My Grandpa), January 27, 1935, Nampa, Idaho".  This was Winfield Scott Byrd!

Winfield Scott Byrd, January 27, 1935
88 years old

I'm so glad to have found this - and especially glad that my husband didn't listen to me as he took it out of the album!

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic! I too have peeled up old photos... I'd say I am rewarded about 50% of the time. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 50% of the time is pretty good odds all things considered. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like your husband's family is not as good at scrapbooking as yours! And I sure am glad that photo didn't tear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - you're right! I'm sure they had other talents :-)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like your rainy day came along just in time!

    ReplyDelete