Sunday, January 31, 2021

52 Ancestors: Favorite Photo - It's not just a house

A house is not just a house - it holds special memories for generations.  One such house is this one - I doubt there are too many homes that a professional artist captured in color.  This "photo" hung on my parents' wall for years and I was lucky enough to take it home with me when we cleaned out the house in 2013.  Thanks brother and sister!  

Sig Levy house, Echo Avenue, Fresno - Artist Donna Locati

My grandparents, along with my Dad and his older brother, built and moved into this home in 1934 when my dad was just 7 years old.  I've written about the house HERE and HERE.  But to recap.....

The house looked a lot different in 1934 when they moved in.  I can just imagine the excitement of the young family as they looked forward to the many memories that would be made in that house.  Amazing what a little landscaping does.

In 1982 when my grandmother died, we went to finish cleaning out the house and I took a few photos.  It sure was bittersweet to see a 'For Sale' sign in front.



My 2nd cousin (our grandfathers were brothers) lives around the corner and knows the owners of the house, only the second owners since 1982.  I remember at one point my dad was in Fresno and because he was fearless, he stopped the car in front of the house and marched himself up to the front door and rang the bell.  Sure enough, the owners were home and invited him in for a tour.  

Google Maps shows it looks like this today.  Much nicer to see the foliage cut back so the house can be seen better.  I did like the dark trim and balcony railing, though.


I love having the painting in my home - it brings a smile to my face every time I walk by.  Be sure to take some photos today of your house, and other important houses, so you can see the changes as time goes on.  Remember, it's not just a house.  


5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful photo! And what a beautiful house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting looking house! Do you have any interior shots? (Being an architect's daughter, I am always interested in floor plans, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've blogged about it a few times - you can see some interior shots here. https://who-knew-it.blogspot.com/2014/11/speaking-of-houses.html

      Delete
  3. I'm always captivated by the pictures of this house with that Spanish tile roof and the archway. It is so different from the architecture here in my part of Virginia. There are a couple homes that exhibit that Spanish influence - they stick out like sore thumbs. I don't mean they are ugly, just extremely different.

    ReplyDelete