Sunday, July 5, 2020

52 Ancestors: Solo - Rosalind Steen

This week's blog prompt, Solo, reminded me of someone who was an only child.  My mother and mother-in-law both fit that description but I wanted to focus on someone I have not researched much - Rosalind Steen.  Rosalind was my first cousin, 3 times removed - her father, Samuel, was the brother of my 2x great grandmother, Rebecca (Steen) Schwartz.

Rosalind was born in San Francisco on 10 May 1885.  At the time of her birth, she was not an only child as her sister, Hazel, was just one year old when Rosalind was born.  I can imagine the girls spent many hours together and kept their parents busy.

Since the 1890 census is unavailable, the only "proof" I have of Rosalind alive is the 1900 Federal Census when the family lived at 310 Hyde Street.  Interesting that the family was enumerated as the Samsteen family.

1900 United States Federal Census, San Francisco, California
Roll 105, Page 9A, Enumeration District 0188, FHL Microfilm 124105



Sometime later in 1900, the family moved to 1276 Eddy Street in San Francisco.  And on 17 April 1902, in that house, Rosalind was gone.

California, County Birth, Marriage, and Death Records, 1849-1980



At the age of 16 years, 11 months, and 8 days Rosalind Steen died from acute pulmonary tuberculosis.  Of course more than 100 years later, we can't even fathom anyone dying from tuberculosis but I'm sure it was not abnormal then.

Rosalind was buried in Hills of Eternity Memorial Park in Colma, California.  At the time of her death, she was buried near her aunt, Dena Steen (sister of my 2x great grandmother Rebecca (Steen) Schwartz) but she was, for the most part, solo.

Hills of Eternity Memorial Park, Plot A, Sec. 5, Lot S/9

You can see behind her another stone inscribed with STEEN - this is where her aunt, Dena, now lies with her mother and Rosalind's grandmother, Hannah (Plotzky) Steen, who died in 1909.




Years later Rosalind's parents and sister were all interred in Chapel of the Chimes in Oakland leaving Rosalind "solo" from her immediate family.

Rosalind, you are not forgotten.  Rest in peace.




4 comments:

  1. How very, very sad. My great-grandfather is buried alone. He died thirty years or so before my great-grandmother, who had remarried. She is buried at a different cemetery in NYC with her second husband as is my grandmother and some of her siblings. So my great-grandfather is alone. It made me very sad when I visited his grave, even though I never knew him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard for the survivors to see them all alone :-(

      Delete
  2. Yeah I have quite a few deaths from TB in my family too. I read a novel in which several characters die from TB. The description of that process makes me grateful for the tb shots we always got before employment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure didn't like those shots at the time!

      Delete