Sunday, May 12, 2019

Memories of Mom

If there is one person in our lives we should be thinking of today it is our Mother - the person who gave us life.  I realize we celebrate all mothers but really, if not for our own mother where would we be?  But Mother's Day seems to have a different meaning now that my mother is no longer with us and the memories just swirl around in my head.  So today I celebrate my mother, Geraldine Martin.

This is the earliest photo I've found of her - I'm guessing she was about 6 months old.  Look at those cute little shoes!

Geraldine Martin, c. 1928
And recently I've discovered some new photos in the small envelope her father held on to throughout his life.  They were not close so that fact that he kept them all those years makes it so special.  He even wrote on the back - not just the name but sometimes, the date and place.  After his death, his wife sent his things to my mother. 

Geraldine Martin
1023 Thorne, Fresno
About 1930
In 1930, my mother was enumerated with her parents at 1023 Thorne in Fresno - she used to tell me that she always remembered that address - and they owned the house.  In 1940, my mother's maternal grandparents, Edward and Mabel (McAboy) Fitzgerald, owned the house and were enumerated there.  My guess is that as my grandparents finalized their divorce, they sold the home to the Fitzgeralds.

And then in July 1931, Mom was hamming it up at the beach.  I think that might be my grandmother watching her.  This photo just brings such a smile to my face.

Geraldine Martin
July, 1931
3 years

I think this is from 1932 - what a little lady with her cute pin curls.

Geraldine Martin
c. 1932

By 1936, Mom was a student at John Muir School - interestingly, I attended John Muir Junior High from 7th-9th grade.  Do I remember that Mom told us she also went to John Muir, albeit a different school?  Mom would have been in 2nd grade - you can see her in the middle row, 6th from the left.

Room No. 6
John Muir School
Feb. 27, 1936

I also found this photo which I thought included Mom - little girl front row, center.  But the more I look at it the more I think it isn't her since the clothes don't look like something from the early 1930's.  Maybe it could be her mother?



And then she fell in love and was engaged to be married - this is the photo used in her engagement announcement in the newspaper.  What a beauty!

Geraldine Martin
1949

And then came kids.   And one of my most treasured photos celebrating not only my mother but HER mother and HER mother. 

Clara Fitzgerald, Geraldine Martin, Mabel McAboy
Sister C. Levy, Me
c. 1960
One of my favorite photos of Mom, also from about 1960.



And then the years marched on by and grandkids and even great grandkids joined the family. 

Mom, Sister, Me
Daughter #2, Daughter #1

And just like that, Mom turned 80!  She was so happy to be able to spend it with the three kids and our spouses.

80 years young - June 8, 2008

And here we are.  Another Mother's Day without her.  And in just 10 days, we will remember her on the 6th anniversary of her death.  And then 17 days later, we will celebrate the day she was born 91 years ago.

The years just continue to march on and I hold the memories close.  Happy Mother's Day, Mom!




3 comments:

  1. What a lovely photo essay in honor of your mother. Those childhood photos are such treasures. Watching her grow up and then age---a true story of life. Cherish your memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, Amy. But as the years go by the memories get more and more faded. I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

      Delete
  2. I did---hope you did also!

    ReplyDelete