Monday, February 18, 2019

52 Ancestors: Love

It’s been a long two weeks of snow and every technical difficulty imaginable (phone, internet, and cell outages) which makes me late but I am finally taking an opportunity to get in a blog post before the technical world goes haywire again.

This week’s blog prompt, in honor of Valentine’s Day, was Love.  I feel like I’ve seen some old Valentine’s Day cards but as I looked for them, I found a few other things that brought a smile to my face – handmade cards from a young girl (me!) to my grandmother, Clara (Fitzgerald) Martin Hunter.  And as a bonus, I found a sweet photo of me with my grandmother.  Being the second child, most of my photos have big sister in them – not that I don’t love seeing the two of us together but once in awhile it’s fun to have just me.  Sorry, sis!

Debi Levy and Clara (Fitzgerald) Hunter
approximately 1957

The first handmade card I made was hard to read since it was in crayon.  But still fun to see the words I sent to my grandmother.  Because it is printed rather than cursive, I’m guessing I was about 7 or so when I sent this.


Dear Grandmother,
Sweet Grandmother.  I love you so true.  I'm sure
there's no other Dear Grandmother
Like you



And then I graduated to cursive writing, which I remember learning in 3rd grade which would have made me 8 or 9.  But this cursive looks pretty good so maybe 10 years old or so?  Being that I was born in the 50’s when Debbie Reynolds was popular, Debbie was a VERY common name for the girls my age.  In fact, in about 7th grade or so many of us changed the spelling of our name so that at least people could determine which Debbie/Debi/Debby/Debbi people were writing about.





As you might remember, my grandmother and her husband, Shell Hunter, owned a chicken ranch and we LOVED to visit them and help out with the eggs.  I wonder if I had dropped an egg when we visited which prompted me to send this card.  I loved how Grandma told me “its alright”.

Such wonderful memories of a very loving grandmother.  And it just makes me smile and feel her love to know that she held on to these cards for the rest of her life.

5 comments:

  1. Oh yes - I love this post. What we save says so much about us. It is clear your grandmother adored you. How nice to have that confirmation. Oh, and your cursive was lovely and well-practiced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a sweet post---nothing like that child-like handwriting to evoke innocence. When did you become Debi?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometime in junior high - maybe 7th grade or so.

      Delete
    2. Sounds about right. That's why my friend Jessie became Jessi and some karens became karyn and so on. Identity-seeking age!

      Delete