Sunday, October 14, 2018

52 Ancestors: Sports

I grew up around sports, mostly as a spectator, but I did participate now and again.  It probably started with my dad who was quite the track star in high school.  I remember seeing the pictures of him, as well as the banners, on the wall in his room at his childhood home.  He talked a little about it but I never realized just how good he was.  My dad wasn’t just a star to me, but he was also a star of his high school!

In 1942, when Dad was a sophomore, he was on the Class “C” Track Team at Fresno High school.  That’s him, second from the left on the bottom row.  And there on the bottom right was his childhood (and lifelong) friend, Jimmy Bradshaw.

Owl 1942 page 104


Owl 1942 page 104_2

An interesting side note.  A year ahead of my dad was Jae O’Hanian, manager of the Varsity Track team.  See him there – top row, far left?  Does he look familiar?  He went on to be known Mike Connors, star of the TV show, Mannix.

Owl 1943 page 89

In 1943, Dad must have been absent the day of photos but he still was a standout for the Class B team.

Owl 1943 page 90

His senior year, 1943-1944, showed he was now the standout of the Varsity Team and affectionately known as Flash.  I am so glad that I have all of his yearbooks to study.

Owl 1944 page 78

Owl 1944 page 79

As all true Levys did, my dad was also a scrapbooker.  So besides his yearbooks, I also have his scrapbook where he kept all of the newspaper clippings about his track days.  That’s Dad on the right.

Bright Outlook Fresno Bee 3_5_44

Dad was pretty fast for the day.  From what I’ve found, his best time in the 100 yard dash was 10.1 seconds (high school record was 9.9 seconds) and in the 220 yard dash was 22.3 seconds (high school record was 21.7 seconds).  Dad liked to remind people that he ran on a dirt track with sub-par shoes with less conditioning and no scientific diet.

Gordon Levy Sprinter

Star Sprinter

In 1944, the Fresno High School Warriors tied with the Roosevelt High School Roughriders, the first time a tie had occurred in the 14 year history of the Fresno city high school track and field championship.  Dad ran his heart out that day.

City Track Title Tie 1944

GordonLevy_LeroyEiffler_JimmyBradshaw_TedMatthews
L-R:  Gordon Levy, Leroy Eiffler, Jimmy Bradshaw, Ted Matthews

The big meet every spring was the West Coast Relays.  I can remember an annual pilgrimage to Fresno each year so Mom and Dad could go to the track meet while we stayed at home with Grandma.

On May 20, 1944, Dad was the leading scorer in the meet with 7 1/2 points.  He won both the 100 and 220 and was the anchor on the winning relay team.

West Coast Relays Fresno Bee 5_24_1944

Dad did run some track at Stanford but, of course, he was a smaller fish in a much larger ocean there.  He said the main reason he was able to participate on the track team was because of the lack of upper class men who were all off to war.

Dad loved to tell the story of running both the 100 and 220 sprints against USC’s Mel Patton in the LA Coliseum.  This was about the time that Mel broke the record in both events and was known by some as “the fastest man in the world”.  Dad was always quick to tell people that on the day of their races, the world’s greatest sprinter vomited before both the 100 and 220 in fear of him and then Mel proceeded to beat him by 10 yards in the short race and a bigger gap in the 220.  When Dad told his roommate how badly he was beaten, his friend summed it up by saying “At that moment, you were the second fastest sprinter in the world”.

Something my dad always hung on to as he always liked to see the glass half full.


4 comments:

  1. I remember Mike Connors! What a cool connection! This is such a fun post---so are you a runner also?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, I'm laughing just thinking about running. Maybe if I was being chased by a wild animal I could make it to the corner.

      He also went to school with Sam Peckinpah - that might come up in a future blog post.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I always say that when I had to play softball in gym, I never once made it to first base without being thrown out. :)

      Delete
  2. Ha - love your dad’s attitude!
    When I read the topic, I wondered if your story would be about your dad or about Sig and tennis.

    ReplyDelete